Saturday, November 17, 2012

Be Useless Day


I've been trying to figure out what to write for this for a little while now, and I haven't had much luck.

I spent a few hours watching music videos, thinking that maybe I could do something on one, or all, of them. Wasn't feeling it. I mean, yeah, I could discuss the differences between say 50 Cent and Adam Tensta. I could talk about why I like Adam Tensta's videos (which are often colorful and full of pop-up words.) I could discuss the blackface in Fatty Boom Boom, and how it highlights both how far we've come, and how far we have yet to go. I could discuss the meat dress. I could pair that one with the over-protectiveness shown by the brother in Baby's on Fire, the double standard. That leads to "feminism" and "equality" and "women" and yeah all of those "dirty, dirty words." I'm not feeling heavy though. I don't want to pick everything apart. I want to be fun and fancy free. I want to be young again. 

And then I was having trouble getting my browser to work and decided to watch the new Pink video. That could also have tied into those dirty words. Or it could lead to a realization that she's totally my new secret guilty pleasure. I'm trying to figure out why I feel guilty about it. She's a strong person, she stands for women's right, for equality in many, many shapes and she's fairly outspoken. She makes some mistakes, but everyone does. And I can't imagine being famous makes life any easier. 

I decided to migrate from my phone to my computer and I remembered that I'd been reading Ursula K. Le Guin's blog. (http://www.ursulakleguin.com/Blog2012.html#New) and then I thought that there would be TONS of stuff. And there is. But I'm not feeling heavy. I mean, after starting with Adam Tensta, and trying to decipher Die Antwoord, I got stuck on Pink. And I mean stuck. I've listened to Slut Like You about ten times in a row. And she's totally my somewhat guilty pleasure now. I think I have finally moved on from Shakira, her Oxford speeches, her charity work and her dance moves. 
I just don't feel like pulling things apart (unless it's LEGOs.) Super excited about the TMNT LEGOs by the way. They'll go great with my Peg Leg Pirate, Space Marine, Bat, Minotaur, Conquistador and so on. Yeah. I still collect LEGOs. I may also have more than one Hotwheels or Matchbox car hidden in my room. I'm not ashamed. They make me happy. So much is working against being happy that I'll take what I can get where I can get it. It also helps that my roommates do the same thing. We're cool like that. 

I suppose this has turned into a guilty pleasure list. We have Pink, Shakira, LEGOs, Hotwheels, Matchbox, I should also own up to Star Trek DS9 and Voyager. And Disco. I'm told all of my music transgressions have been forgiven. Let's see, what else do I secretly love that makes me feel somewhat guilty…Oh. Those annoying flash animations. I listen to them for hours at a stretch sometimes. 

I can't really think of much else, so this will have to do for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment