Fresh off a day off to recover from my Blondie concert, I headed back down to the Warfield to see Fiona Apple. This was a much more bittersweet concert. Mostly due to the emotions this show dredged up. Ah, old flames.
So, Blake Mills and a number of other musicians from the touring band opened up. More country-ish than I usually listen to, but pleasant. I like Blake Mills. Not as much as my roommates would have, but he was nice, he was funny, he has a strong voice and some pretty wicked skills. I was pleased with the way things were kicking off.
He talked a lot more than Fiona did during her set. I'm ok with that, because the only song that she didn't perform that I would have wanted to hear was "Criminal." She covered all of my other wants. All of them. A good mix of old and new. (http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/fiona-apple/2012/the-warfield-san-francisco-ca-73ddae51.html)
This is also the concert that convinced me that I have to wear either my glasses or contacts when I go to the Warfield because I can't see much on stage. This was the one show where I was more on the side, and that actually worked in my favor. I was on the left side and so was Fiona, especially when she played the piano. I loved watching her play the piano. She had an interesting stage presence, but the music overpowered everything. Oh man. I heard Shadowboxer and On the Bound, and I saw Fiona Apple live.
The sound was great, the performance was great, the venue was great, my seating was awesome. It also stirred up a lot of unpleasant emotions for me, a lot of regrets about my past, and more than a few worries for my future. It left me with an entirely different sort of high than Blondie did. I was almost exuberant and bursting with Blondie, it was a dream come true. Fiona was too, but she was an entirely different type of dream.
I would absolutely go see her again, without a doubt. I'd even go alone again, which actually was probably a good decision because of the melancholy. Oh, and the rest of what made this the best week ever (that I can remember) is that I finally figured out how to play my one video game and I got a ghostbusters tshirt. It's the little things in life.
No comments:
Post a Comment